Launched in 2016 by the Institut français d’Ecosse, the concours de la francophonie is a national school competition which encourages all young French learners and their teachers to celebrate the international day of la francophonie.
Many schools across Scotland took part in 2016 and 2017, and we hope to receive many entries again this coming year.
Who can take part?
All Scottish Primary and Secondary Schools offering French may enter this competition by submitting a short video of a classroom activity in French.
There are four Categories: P1/P4 - P5/P7 - S1/S3 - S4/S6
Eligible entries :
A video of maximum 5 minutes The learners/participants should speak/sing clearly in French. The level of French will be adapted to the learners, not too easy, not too difficult. We will also value the participation of ALL learners in the class and the creativity of the piece.
- For Primary School entries, you may want to film a regular activity in French: a song you have prepared in class, a game, or a small dialogue etc.
- For Secondary School entries, pupils are required to demonstrate their communication skills in French so a song would not be receivable at that level. Students may want to conduct interviews in their school or create a short drama.
How to take part?
- State schools: your council will organise a semi-final to choose their local champions in January 2018. Send your entry before the Christmas break to your Modern Languages Development Officer or your QIO.
- Independent schools: a jury composed of representatives from the Alliance Française Glasgow and the Institut français d’Écosse will choose the Independent schools champions in January 2018. Send your video to firstname.lastname@example.org before 19th December 2017.
Semi-final winning entries will be entered in a national competition in early February 2018.
- First prize in each category: invitation to attend a special French immersion day on 23rd March 2018 in Edinburgh to celebrate the international day of la francophonie. Transport and lunch for the entire classroom will be offered. Winners will take part in French workshops and will receive a selection of French books.
- Second prize in each category: a selection of French books
Bonne chance à tous!